If you’re thinking of moving to California, whether it’s from just across state lines in Arizona or across the country in New York, moving to a new state means an entirely new way of life. But when you get to the Golden State, there are a few things to do to help you and your family feel at home in CA.
In this blog, the professional movers at Affordable Quality Moving and Storage will share our tips to prepare for a move to California.
Become a California Resident
For most tax and legal purposes, you will be considered a resident once you have spent more than 6 months (or 183 days) there out of a 12-month period. To make it even more official, though, there are a few ways you can establish residency in California:
- Rent or buy an apartment or home
- Have a business based out of or be employed in California
- Register to vote in California
- Have children who attend a California elementary or middle school
Some people are interested in moving to earn the ability to pay in-state tuition in California. If you’re in this situation, there are a few extra things you will need:
- Have lived in California for more than 12 months
- Have financial independence
- Have your CA driver’s license
California Moving Checklist
Once you’re packed up and ready to go, work your way through this checklist to get settled into your new state!
- Get your CA driver’s license. Make sure to apply within 10 days of becoming a resident!
- Register your car at the DMV within 20 days of becoming a resident.
- Get California car insurance. Minimums include:
- $5,000 property damage per accident
- $15,000 bodily injury per person
- $30,000 bodily injury per accident
- Update your address with the USPS. Read our blog about updating your address when you move to make sure you tick every box.
- Register to vote. Sometimes you can take care of this while applying for your driver’s license or updating your address!
- Sign up for health insurance and find new primary care doctors, specialists, dentists, etc.
- Set up your utilities, including:
Congratulations, you’re ready to live in California! Don’t hesitate to contact our long-distance movers at (661) 622-2636 with any questions you might have about moving to a new state.