Moving is tough at any age, but it can be particularly stressful and physically demanding as you get older. Fortunately, our team at Affordable Quality Moving and Storage is here to address all of your senior moving needs. Moving in your golden years can be a rewarding experience—and it can make all the difference in building a stable future for yourself and your loved ones. As professional Southern California movers, we handle packing and unpacking, storage, and moving for seniors across the U.S. We even handle international moves. We’re here to do the heavy lifting so you can enjoy your new home!
Top Tips for Seniors Moving to New Homes
Seniors across the country are moving for various reasons. Downsizing, a better cost of living, tax benefits, and proximity to family are all good reasons for moving to a new home. Many retirees are choosing to relocate to different cities and states, as you can see in our blog: Top Moving Destinations for Retirees. Regardless of your reason for moving, it’s going to take a lot of work. Proper planning and spreading the work out over time can help relieve the burden and make your move a positive experience.
We can offer the following tips for helping seniors move:
- It’s never too early to start planning. Once you begin to think about moving, start planning. Make lists of tasks you’ll need to accomplish, think about belongings that you want to take with you, note which items can be sold or donated, and try to check things off your list that can be handled now. When you get a head start on planning and are as detail-oriented as possible, you can make sure nothing is missed and that the moving process goes as smoothly as possible.
- Do your research to find the ideal location and property type. You may already know where you want to move, but do you know the exact neighborhood or property type? Take the time to research single-story homes, townhomes, or other properties in cities and neighborhoods that appeal to you. If you’re relocating to another city or state, think about the financial and other implications of the move. Research the weather, taxes, property prices, crime rates, and everything else that’s important to you. Gather all this information together, and you’ll be able to make the right choice for your long-term happiness and stability.
- Downsize wherever possible. Many people in their golden years are looking to downsize when they move. This is one of the best ways to make their money go further. Children are grown and out of the home. Retirement is upon them. Downsizing to a smaller home or apartment offers the opportunity to save a considerable amount of money, and moving to a less expensive city or neighborhood can make even more of a difference.
- Get started packing and decluttering as early as possible! There is no question that we accumulate a lot of “stuff” over the course of our lives. For seniors, the thought of moving can be particularly challenging because of the sheer amount of belongings they will have to deal with. Getting an early start will make the work a lot less taxing, and it will give you time to decide what you want to keep, sell, and donate. Get rid of as much as you can, as long as you don’t need it any longer or it no longer brings you any joy or value. This will make your move easier—and less expensive!
- Enlist the help of family and friends. Now is the time to call on friends and family members to help with packing and other tasks. Even though you might hesitate to ask for help, you will probably be surprised to find how many of your loved ones are there for you. Family and friends can assist with packing, taking belongings to be donated, selling certain items, and even helping on moving day.
- Focus on the benefits of the move. It’s easy to become overwhelmed when you’re moving in your golden years. Don’t forget to stop and remember why you’re moving. Think about all the benefits of the move. Although you’re in the thick of it right now, you will eventually be in a place where you’ve moved in and are enjoying your new home. Think about the future and how your move will benefit you!
- Hire a professional moving company. Handling a move without a professional moving company is challenging. It might be impossible for a senior or any person with physical limitations. Spending the money to hire movers is well worth it for the peace of mind in knowing that you don’t have to do the heavy lifting, and that the right equipment and supplies will be used to pack and transport your belongings. Look over your budget and get a free estimate from our Southern California movers at Affordable Quality Moving and Storage. Your move may cost less than you expect!
Cost-Effective Moving Services for SoCal Seniors
Are you looking to move? Our senior moving services can be tailored specifically to your needs. We can handle as much of the packing and unpacking as you want, or we can only handle loading, transportation, and unloading. Our prices are competitive, and our team members are friendly and hard working. The best part is that you only pay for what we move. We will weigh the truck, and your final charges will be based on what we loaded. Particularly for seniors who are downsizing, this can add up to a considerable amount of savings from an initial estimate, which may have taken more belongings into account.
Call (661) 622-2636 today to find out more about our Southern California moving, storage, and packing/unpacking services. We handle local, long-distance, out-of-state, and international moves!