Young people who have new jobs downtown or who want to live “where the action is” often consider a move from the suburbs to the city. It’s often more expensive, yes, but the dense population, layers of culture, and ample job opportunities could make the experience well worth the price of admission.
If you’re eager for a change of scenery and a new adventure, you might be considering moving to the heart of your city’s downtown. Today, our professional movers are going to help you weigh out the pros and cons of moving to the heart of the city, and the ways it’s better than living in the suburbs (and the ways it isn’t better at all).
Why People Want to Move to a Major City
- Good Apartment Sizes for Couples: Downtown areas often have apartments sized for multiple roommates or couples with no kids. They don't need the same amount of space that houses do, and they get to be close to trendy restaurants and cafes.
- Shorter Commute Times: If your job is in the city, your commute time will be much shorter than if you were commuting from the suburbs.
- Life Within Walking Distance: Grocery stores, restaurants, and theaters are more likely to be walking distance in the city. Due to the density of downtown life, you might get away with living car-free.
- Great Entertainment Options: City centers are where cultures collide and meld together and fuse into something new. Cultural festivals, food festivals, and live performances are all part of life in the city. On any given weekend, there’s something cool going on—and you’re at the heart of it.
- Exciting Environment: The city is never quiet, but for the right people, that’s a feature, not a bug. The hustle and bustle, the music, the sounds of city life—that energy is why people move to the city.
Why People Move to the Suburbs
- Limited Housing Options for Families: Although small city apartments might be convenient for singles and young couples, large families need a lot more space. Downtown housing options are more expensive per square foot, so renting or buying enough space for a family is out of most people’s budgets.
- Fewer School Options: Excellent school districts in thriving suburban areas are one of the top reasons why families move to the suburbs. School options are more limited in the city centers, which is why we recommend researching school performance first when researching a place to live with your kids.
- Limited Recreation for Children: The city is filled with skyscrapers, businesses, restaurants, but not as many parks or recreation options for children. If you have kids, they might have a limited area to play and run around compared to the suburbs. At the same time, there are parts of the city where a small, kid-friendly oasis could be found. You'll just need to look a little harder.
Moving to the City? Call Our Moving Professionals Today!
If relocating to the city is the right move for you, contact our professional movers at Affordable Quality Moving & Storage. We all knowing moving can be extremely stressful. That’s why our team of moving professionals makes it a seamless, stress-free process from start to finish. Moving is what we do, and we know how to get it done fast and efficiently.
Contact our licensed and insured movers today for a free estimate at (661) 622-2636!