Whether you’re in the first stages of thinking about moving to a warmer climate or have already made up your mind and found a new apartment or home, there are a few things you should know to prepare yourself. We’ve compiled a few tips to help you take the leap and relocate.
First, let’s take a look at the benefits of moving to a warmer climate:
- You may experience health benefits by moving to a warmer area. If you spend more time outdoors in the sun (with proper sun protection of course), your body gets more vitamin D. This is the only vitamin you can’t get through food. You can take supplements, of course, and you can get out in the sun. Vitamin D can help keep your teeth, bones, and muscles healthy. Some researchers have even worked on increasing vitamin D intake to help with depression.
- A warmer client is good for productivity. With more daylight hours and sunny days, you’re less likely to feel tired and overworked if you have to work late. You can also take part in outdoor activities at the end of the day, without having to worry about snow and other harsh weather.
- You and your family can take part in more activities. When you live in a warmer area, there’s no end to the number of activities you can do together. If you have pets, you can go on hikes or play outdoors nearly any time of the year. If you have kids, you can take them swimming, to the park, roller skating, hiking, or for all types of fun. It’ll be easier to pull them away from the TV or video games if there’s a lot to do outdoors.
- You don’t have to worry about winter gear and the toll cold weather takes on your home. Imagine never having to scrape snow off your windshield or shovel your driveway again. Imagine only breaking out your snow boots and jacket when you want to take a vacation where you can just enjoy the snow—not try to live in it. Your home even has an easier time of it in warmer climates. No more frozen pipes or snow piled up past the windows. You can save on utility and repair costs.
Second, we’ll consider the disadvantages of living somewhere warm (along with solutions to make sure you’re prepared!):
- Your summertime utility bills may be higher than you’re used to. Keeping your home cool during the summer can be quite costly, so this is something you should consider before you move. Fortunately, proper insulation, high-efficiency air conditioning systems, and solar panels can help with these costs.
- You’ll need to prepare for hot weather to avoid dehydration and sunstroke. If you’re not used to living in a warm climate, make sure you, your children, and your pets drink plenty of water and take time to cool off. Always wear sunscreen and make sure you take a break in the shade or air conditioning if you feel overheated.
- You might have to deal with some bugs and reptiles. Warmer climates provide ideal habitats for many different types of insects and reptiles. Make sure you educate yourself and your family on which of these may pose a threat and how to deal with them. Find an extermination company that provides routine service to keep your property pest-free.
Preparing for Your Move: What to Bring & What to Leave Behind
If the weather conditions at your new home are drastically different than where you are now, you probably have a lot of belongings that you can simply leave behind. You can sell or donate these items, so you don’t have to bother with packing and moving them. Think about what you will actually need once you move. If you don’t need it, get rid of it. You can make a little extra money by selling it, or you can donate it and get a tax write-off.
Get Professional Moving Help
No matter what, relocating is a big change. It’s a lot of work and will require adjustments for you and anyone who’s moving with you: your spouse, your partner, your kids, and your pets. If you’re relocating to a much warmer climate, proper preparation will make your move infinitely easier. In addition to learning about the weather and living conditions at your new home, think about how you want to get there.
Moving by yourself is exhausting. You need help, and choosing a team of professionals is your best bet to make sure your belongings are moved safely and on time. At AQMS, we can help you move anywhere in the U.S., or even with international moves. We’re here to take care of everything so you can concentrate on building your new life. So, pack up your sunscreen and bathing suit, some bug spray, and take the plunge into a warmer climate with AQMS!
Give us a call at (661) 622-2636 today to get a free quote on your move.