Whether you’re moving just a neighborhood away or across the country, you need to make sure your belongings are protected. This starts with boxing and packaging them up correctly and ends with loading them into the truck the right way. There’s a strategy to properly loading a moving truck, so we’ll share a few of our most helpful tips about how to get it done correctly.
Choose the Right Size Truck
The truck rental company should have information about the square footage inside each of their various models, as well as tips about what amount of furniture may fit. A small truck, for example, might be big enough for a one-bedroom apartment or studio. A larger truck would be necessary for a three-bedroom home. When in doubt, size up. Choosing a truck that’s too small will mean multiple trips (something that’s inconvenient for a local move and nearly impossible for an out-of-state or cross-country move.)
Get All the Right Moving Supplies
You’ll need to rent or purchase supplies to make sure you can properly pack your belongings and load the truck.
Here’s a list of the items you’ll most likely need:
- Moving boxes
- Packing paper
- Packing tape
- Furniture pads
- Markers to label boxes
- Straps to secure items in the truck
- Dollies to move heavy boxes, furniture, and appliances
Take Care to Prep & Pack Your Belongings
Protect your furniture and other belongings by prepping and packing them the right way:
- First of all, try to get rid of items you don’t need as you pack. Donate or sell furniture, clothes, appliances, and anything else you won’t need in your new home. This can make moving easier right off the bat.
- Take the time to carefully pack fragile items and mark the boxes as such so you know to treat them gently.
- Label all boxes with the room they’re going to, to prevent confusion when you’re unpacking.
- Shrinkwrap moving pads to furniture before you load it into the moving truck. This can help minimize damage during transit.
- To protect them and save space, roll up and shrinkwrap your rugs.
- Disassemble as much furniture as you can. This will make it much easier to carry to and load into the truck.
Loading Your Moving Truck
Now it’s time to load your moving truck. Doing this right will protect your belongings, make it easier to unload, and help you drive safely because the truck will be easier to control. There are many different methods for loading a moving truck, and the strategy that’s right for you will depend on the type of items you’re moving and the size of the truck itself.
To load your moving truck the right way, you’ll want to:
- Load heaviest items toward the front of the truck (toward the cab/driver) and at the bottom of the truck, underneath lighter items.
- Load your medium items and then finish with lightweight objects. You can use lightweight objects to fill in spaces and prevent the load from shifting, but make sure you don’t put them underneath other objects where they could be crushed.
- Load your tables, couches, and headboards in an upright position. This takes up less space. Be sure to put extra padding around these items to they don’t get damaged or move around.
- Make sure your load is secure by using straps and also by strategically placing boxes, blankets, couch cushions, pillows, and other items in between so things are less likely to shift during transit.
- Carry valuables with you in the cab to prevent them from being lost or stolen. This might include jewelry, important documents, or collectibles.
- Make sure the load is balanced. If one side of the truck is much heavier than the other, it will be hard to maneuver.
Remember to take your time. Loading your moving truck the right way will make your move much easier, and you’ll save time and money in the long run if all of your belongings are protected.
Thinking About Getting Professional Help?
At AQMS, our experienced Santa Clarita movers take all the guesswork—and the work—out of moving. We handle local, cross-country, and even international moves with the type of professionalism and focus on quality you deserve. Instead of trying to do it yourself, think about the time and headache you’ll save by having skilled movers handle everything for you.
For more information about our moving, packing, and unpacking services, and to schedule a free in-home estimate, give us a call at (661) 622-2636. We’ll be happy to see how we can help you.