Moving Soon? Don’t Forget to Change Your Address!
It’s no secret that moving can be a hectic experience. From packing up your belongings to hashing out schedules with moving companies and preparing your appliances for a move, it is not uncommon for people to get so caught up in the process that they forget one key task: changing their mailing address. Before you settle into your new place, it is important you take the proper steps to ensure your mail will be reaching the correct address.
- Notify the Postal Service: Your first step will be to update your address with the United States Postal Service (USPS). The USPS keeps a record of all of your past addresses and will automatically reroute all mail to your new address for six months. To update your address, visit the USPS website or call 1-800-ASK-USPS. You can also visit your local post office and fill out a Form 3575.
- Update all bills: Be sure to contact all companies you regularly receive bills from and provide them with your new address. This includes credit cards, department stores, car bills, subscription services, and more. Thankfully, most companies allow you to update this information online to save time.
- Tell your bank: Following the Postal Service and creditors, your bank is the most important party to provide your new address to. This will allow you to verify your address for online shopping and ensure you receive all important bank statements.
- Tell your family and friends: Don’t forget to tell your loved ones that you have moved! Before you move, put together a list of everyone you’d like to notify and send out an email or text including your new address.
- Inform the DMV: Finally, you will want to make sure you inform the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or similar licensing agency and update your driver’s license or state-issued ID. Most states give you 30 days to update your ID after a move before issuing fines for non-compliance.
For more moving tips or for help with your upcoming move, get in touch with the Santa Clarita moving experts at Affordable Quality Moving and Storage today. With more than 20 years of experience, our team of professionals can provide the quality service you need to make your move a hassle-free experience.Contact us online or call (661) 622-2636 to schedule a free in-home estimate!
Husband & WifeOwned & Operated
Fully Licensed& Insured
No HiddenCharges or Fees
Last Minute & EmergencyServices Available