5 Household Items That Are Harder to Move Than They Look
Most people are able to tell which items in your home are difficult to move.
Obviously, heavy appliances, furniture, and delicate glass must be treated with special care to be moved safely and successfully.
However, many others are often underestimated when it comes to moving, causing homeowners to experience great difficulty and stress on moving day.
To help you better prepare for your move, we have listed out some of the most common household items which are tougher to move than they appear.
- Artwork: Art can have both a high monetary and sentimental value, making its care a top priority when moving. Intricate frames, fragile sculptures, and paintings can be easily punctured or scraped by the corners of boxes or furniture when moving. Artwork must be wrapped carefully in bubble wrap and placed far away from any item which could potentially puncture them. Be sure to never use newspaper on artwork, as the ink can be transferred from the paper and stain its surface – especially when exposed to high temperatures inside a moving van.
- Aquariums: Aquariums of all sizes can be tricky to move. You cannot leave fish inside an aquarium because they will either get hurt or jump out when the water sloshes around in transit, requiring you to take them out and place them in separate containers. Furthermore, you will need to maintain the same bacteria colony in your aquarium to improve your fishes’ chances of survival, meaning you will need to drain your tank and transport the same water to your new home.
- Plants: Just like fish and other pets, plants are living organisms which can be harmed by the tumultuous change that comes with a move. Do not transport temperature-sensitive plants along with the rest of your belongings in a moving van, as this can damage them. Be sure to transplant any plants that are in fragile ceramic pots to sturdier pots to protect them from harm.
- Televisions: Though they have become thinner over the years, televisions can still be heavy and cumbersome to move. Unfortunately, many televisions’ compact modern designs leave their delicate electronic internals even less protected. Wrap your TV in a thick padded blanket to protect its screen and use bubble wrap on its corners for added impact protection. Likewise, be sure to place it far away from any items which could potentially cause puncture damage.
- Pianos: While the difficulty of moving a piano may be obvious, many homeowners tend to underestimate just how difficult they really are to move. Depending on their type, pianos can weigh more than 1,000 lbs. and have several awkward angles which can make them nearly impossible to move without the proper equipment. It is highly recommended you hire a team of professionals who have the knowledge and skills to move your instrument with the least amount of risk as possible.
Simplify Your Move with Affordable Quality Moving and StorageAt Affordable Quality Moving and Storage, our highly trained and friendly Santa Clarita moving professionals have the skills and experience to safely move even the heaviest items to your new destination. Dial (661) 622-2636 or contact us online today to request a free moving estimate!
Husband & WifeOwned & Operated
Established Nearly20 Years Ago
Fully Licensed& Insured
No HiddenCharges or Fees
Last Minute & EmergencyServices Available